The piece of shit AV that came with my laptop’s OEM is the worst fucking thing ever to happen to the history of software.
1. The UI is terrible. I had to use it for two weeks before I learnt how to access the product’s secondary functions.
2. The program is annoying. Somehow the devs think we’re all 3 year olds who need to be told exactly what to do, and bombards us with undeactivatable notices to update immediately until we click “yes”. Because the newest goddam viruses are all targeted at normal-ass users instead of government/military targets or rich people, and that shitty software is somehow able to block the newest viruses because being the consumer level software that it is, it is ultra powerful and can deflect any virus
3. The program is dangerous to the work enviornment. If you need your computer on for a continuous period of time but McAfee updates its main program, you’re fucked. The fucking SOB first gives you the illusion that you can postpone the reboot indefinitely by clicking the “postpone reboot” button, but after a while the cunt just goes rogue and reboots anyway, shutting down all the work you’ve been doing, the film you’ve been watching and even that encoding task you’ve been at for 3 days and only have 5% left to encode. The autosave function doesn’t exist in every single software goddamit! Unfortunately you can’t get a refund for that fucking problem, because…
4. Refund policy sucks. You have thirty days to say “fuck the software” before the software fucks you for the rest of your subscription because you believe that McAfee is still better than Microsoft Security Essentials since some crappy tech site said so. Unfortunately my license came with my laptop’s OEM, which probably means I’ll have gotten 1) no refund or 2) limited refund @ OEM price or 3) had to return my fucking laptop to get a full refund on everything, which would defeat the purpose of buying a laptop in the first place, even if I did try to get my money back within the 30 day trial period.
5. The program does not shut up, and simple functions like “deactivate crappy feature and stop bitching about it forever” are simply not present. You set the program to stop real-time scanning for viruses for a period of 1 hour, but after half an hour it reminds you to turn its primary function back on. Like a fucking goldfish! You expect a goldfish to safeguard your computer?
And while we’re at it, there is absolutely no option to COMPLETELY DISABLE a feature. The program with perservre one way or another in forcing you to turn every single one of its miserable features on, and doing whatever it tells you. Kinda makes you the software’s slave.
6. Also you can’t add virus exceptions to the program files folders. You can add virus exceptions in c:\games though, which is really fucking stupid because unless I’m wrong, a virus in c:\games is just as fucking damaging as a virus in c:\program files.
7. There is no batch processing in the firewall. If you have 11 programs in the same folder that you want to ban from accessing the fucking internet, you gotta ban them one by one, making your way from the default folder to the particular program’s folder each time you add a new item to block, since the program will not remember its last location and thinks that you won’t be needing to block anymore programs from a same folder since you’ve already blocked one from that folder.
8. As with all software companies, you get no real help on the software’s website. And while you can’t demand the programmers add some useful feature that’s (surprise, moron devs!) standard in most other AV, what you can do is submit “product ideas” which the company may decide not to act on if it gets enough votes (since the only thing they’ve approved from the “product ideas” is a fucking phone support service, which is again standard in all major software companies but McAfee
9. There is no “advanced mode” containing slightly more advanced options other than those that only cater to complete computer retards. Everyone is a dumb 7 year old in the eyes of McAfee, I KNOW WHAT I’M DOING WHEN I DEACTIVATE YOUR ASS, I UNDERSTAND THE RISKS, NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!
10. Say you’re past the refund date and decided to use the support line to send an email that would hopefully break the product designer’s humanity out of his black heart, and he would finally do something to fix this shit. You’re waiting for the next update which would hopefully bring the software out of the 0.0.0.0.1 stage and into alpha stage, but in the meantime you wanna keep McAfee installed, but you wanna use some other software for your active antivirus to avoid any potential forced reboots you could experience in the future.
Well congratz- fucking –lations. Its not possible. Anything short of a complete uninstall will not turn off the product, believe me I’ve tried (perhaps not hard enough), but even I, as system adminis-fucking-traitor, can’t do shit to shut down the program. Since apparently I don’t have the freedom to do what I want to my computer. McAfee simply restarts itself and continues to haunt you with its hideousness every time you force quit or halt its process.
Acer, please don’t include anymore McAfee products in your OEM software, its bad for your brand image.
So there you have it, folks. Ten fucking reasons not to use McAfee. So get your money back, and if you want a good AV solution then get Security Essentials. Its free, offers a basic level of protection alongside a usable interface, and I figure that since if some highly advanced hacker wants to get to you hes gonna get to you anyway, you’re probably better off saving the 10-20 bucks you spend on the Antivirus software to invest in your next computer.
Hit the like button to show your contempt to McAfee antivirus, share to let others know your contempt at McAfee, and comment below if you think I missed something. Better yet, don’t waste your time hitting the like button, instead go use affirmative action to force McAfee’s devs to change the software, so that the remaining 7 months of my subscription are not wasted. Move it, right now! Hold signs outside their office! Start a movement! Send life threats to their death beds! Avenge my money!!!